As an International Movement we have real opportunity to make the issues of peace and understanding an active part of our programme and help those in our membership to realise the responsibilities of being part of a global society and members of a world wide organisation. There are many ways to use the International experience creatively, both in the overseas visits and camps and also in regular programme items. If you are able to go away, you will be able to make contact with many people. Do keep in touch with these friends and consider a continuing programme of sharing experiences, visits or other exchanges.
The decisions and actions taken locally can increasingly affect people in other parts of the world. Think about the food we eat, the clothes we wear, the music we listen to and the television programmes we watch, they all offer us insights into how our lives have been ‘globalised’.
We want to encourage young people to increase their understanding of the links between the personal, local and global and promote their active participation in actions to bring about change towards greater equity and justice.
Please do not be daunted!! Why not try this three step process to enrich your programme and further global awareness within Scouting.
- Raise awareness, to explain the context and use suitable activities to make necessary points. Check out these pages for links to activities and resources from within Scouting and a number of external agencies working in this field.
- Accept responsibility for a better future through discussion and debate. All of the Agencies have good support information within their activity packs and resources as well as on their websites and you can use this as a basis for discussion.
- Take action to make it happen. There are a whole variety of ways that young people can take action.
- They can inform other young people and members of their community (running activities, do a display, contact their local paper etc),
- change the way they do things (conserve energy, buy Fair Trade goods, use less water etc),
- take part in an Agency Campaign (ie Save the Children’s campaign to Beat Poverty, Unicef’s campaign to end Child Exploitation etc) or
- take part in an International Day of Awareness (ie World Aids Day, World Fair Trade Day, Red Nose Day etc)
The possibilities are endless! Think what is happening in the news, think of food, think of sport, think of music and TV, think of outdoor activities and the environment- its all global!
Try looking at some of the following links for ideas and programmes
JOTA (Jamboree on the Air)
JOTI (Jamboree on the Internet)
The Explorer Belt
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any information regarding International.